Catholic Church in Oswiecim

View of Church from Old Market Square

The first Catholic church in Oswiecim was a wooden building, built in the 12th century. After it was burned in 1241 during an invasion by the Tartars, it was rebuilt out of bricks in the second half of the 13th century. It was repeatedly damaged by fires and was rebuilt. The present church is called The Parish Church of the Assumption of Holy Mary.

The photo below is a view of the front of the church, as seen from the road that enters the town over a bridge that crosses the Sola river. The Auschwitz Museum, which is the former Nazi concentration camp, is on the opposite side of the Sola river, and a world away from the town.

Front View of Church in Oswiecim

Rear view of Catholic church

Interior of Church, 2005

Photo Credit: Steve Wejroch



Town Square


Polish Houses

Little Chapels

Back to Photo Gallery 15


© Copyright 2005 - All Rights Reserved