Old Jewish Town Hall
On the right is the
pink town hall, on the left is the Old-New Synagogue
The Old Town Hall is a beautiful pink
building on Maiselova street in the old Jewish quarter of Prague,
now called Josefov. A very narrow alley separates the Old Town
Hall from the Old-New Synagogue, just north of it. The Old-New
Synagogue is shown on the left in the photograph above.
The funds to build the town hall were
provided by Mordechai Maisel, after whom the main street in the
old Jewish quarter is named. Maisel was a Jewish leader whose
wealth was comparable to that of the Rothchild family of bankers.
The Old Town Hall was built in 1586 but remodeled with a pink
Baroque facade in the 18th century. The famous Hebrew Clock which
runs backwards is on the north side of the Old Town Hall facing
the alley that runs between it and the Old-New Synagogue; the
clock is shown in the photograph below.
The famous Hebrew Clock
is on the north side of the Old Town Hall
To the left in the photograph above is
the High Synagogue, and at the bottom is the Old-New Synagogue.
Both of these Synagogues are still in use today. Notice the windows
on the red roof of the High Synagogue; they are called eyelid